Advocacy in Arbitration Procedures and Litigation
We count with a multidisciplinary team with strong professional experience and top academic background.
OCTÁVIO FRAGATA MARTINS DE BARROS
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org / +55 21 2464-1665 / 11 2649-1494
Languages: Portuguese | English | Spanish
Practice: Is recognized for his expertise in litigation and arbitration, focusing mainly on the construction, oil and gas and infrastructure industries. Has vast experience as an attorney and arbitrator in international disputes involving the Brazilian market, and has worked in arbitration before foreign chambers such as ICC, AAA and ICSID, as well as in Brazilian institutions CIESP/FIESP, CCBC, CBMA and FGV. He is a member of the ICC Task-Force “Maximizing the Probative Value of Witness Evidence” and “States, State Entities and ICC Arbitration” and was elected Member of the Coordinating Committee of Regional Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF-ICC), 2011- 2014. He is also Director of Arbitration at the Brazilian Center for Mediation and Arbitration (Centro Brasileiro de Mediação e Arbitragem, CBMA).
Experience: Worked as associate and partner in the litigation and arbitration areas of renowned national and international law firms. He also worked as pro bono attorney in ad hoc sports arbitration at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Currently head and partner of Litigation and Arbitration areas at Rennó, Penteado, Reis & Sampaio Advogados. Also works as a professor at the Graduate Programs at Fundação Getulio Vargas, IBMEC, PUC-RJ and Escola Superior de Advocacia (ESA).
- Doctor's Degree in Law at Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro – UERJ.
- Specialization Degree in Private International Law at The Hague Academy of International Law (Hague, the Netherlands).
- Specialization Degree in Arbitration, Mediation and Negotiation at Fundação Getulio Vargas – FGV Rio.
- Undergraduate Degree in Law at Universidade Cândido Mendes.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Loyola University of Chicago (Chicago, IL, USA).
- Chambers Latin America – Dispute Resolution: Arbitration
- Advocacia 500 – Oil & Gas
- Client Choice Award – Arbitration & ADR
- Who´s Who Legal – Arbitration
- LACCA Approved – Arbitration
- CCI Arbitration, London head office, with the amount of BRL 22 billion related to an indemnity claim for alleged irresistible coercion and collusion that allegedly forced the signing of a release. Procedure with impact in 3 other jurisdictions.
- CCI arbitration estimated in the amount of BRL 600 million related to the construction of a petrochemical industrial hub; litigation involving any claim of nullity of the Alliance Agreement as a result of evidence discovered under Lava Jato Operation.
- CCBC arbitration estimated in the amount of BRL 61 million related to supply and delays in the construction of a soccer stadium for the 2014 World Cup.
- Anti-Corruption Investigation in Agreement between 3 major foreign players due to the involvement of one of them in Lava Jato Operation.
- Representation of important creditors in the Reorganization of a Brazilian group in the Oil & Gas industry.